21.10.15

Journalism At Its Finest

Can Make You Cry
         I admire great journalists -- Americans like Kate O'Brien, Cubans like Elaine Diaz, etc. The lady above is a great journalist. Her name is Jabeen Bhatti. Now based in Berlin, she penned a long article in USA Today yesterday -- Tuesday, October 20th. I am not a particularly emotional person but her writing made me cry. She began the article with these words: "Earlier this month, militant thugs from the Islamic State..." I honestly couldn't remember the last time I cried, but it might have been in 1954 when my beloved Cleveland Indians lost all four World Series games to the New York Giants. Yet, by the time I finished the third paragraph of Jabeen Bhatti's article yesterday I was crying. She began that paragraph with these two sentences: "I wish I could look away. I wish I didn't know what I know." That in my opinion is great journalism. Yes, Jabeen Bhatti is a great journalist, and I forgive her latest gem for making me cry.
     **********************   

No comments:

cubaninsider: "The Country That Raped Me" (A True Story)

cubaninsider: "The Country That Raped Me" (A True Story) : Note : This particular essay on  Ana Margarita Martinez  was first ...