1.9.13

Thoughts and Reminders of Cuba

Congratulations, Diana Nyad!!
You Are, Indeed, A Champion!
       This Andrew Innerarity/REUTERS photo shows Diana Nyad walking ashore Monday, September  2nd, 2013 after her historic 110-mile swim from Cuba to Florida! She is the first person to accomplish this dangerous and remarkable feat without the aid of a shark cage. It enshrines her as an American treasure!
This image from CBS News shows Diana Nyad swimming Sunday {Sept. 1-2013} between Cuba and Florida.
Diana Nyad is a warrior and a great American role model.
She said: "We should never, ever give up! You're never too old to chase your dream!"
Today's incredible achievement reached fruition on her fifth try in the past 35 years!
Uh, did I mention...she is 64-years-old!
One of Diana's goals was to demonstrate how close Cuba and the U. S. are, or at least should be.
This guy reminds me of Fidel Castro.
Fidel, after all, has lived precariously on precipitous ledges for 87 years and counting.
This right-hander, Vladimir Garcia, is the latest in a steady stream of Cuban baseball defections.
Vladimir is now a prospect for the Philadelphia Phils.
        And speaking of baseball, this is my favorite stadium. You see, I have an affinity for baseball, rivers, and islands. This is the Harrisburg Baseball Park {right side of photoin Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It's on a picturesque 63-acre island in the middle of the scenic Susquehanna River. The Harrisburg Senators, the Double-A farm-team of the Washington Senators, call this island home. Of course, baseball fans love it too.
Now back to the island of Cuba. These homes are in Pinar del Rio province northwest of Havana.
I think this bucolic valley is the most serene and prettiest spot in Cuba.
This gorgeous area is not in Cuba but it reminds me of Cuba. It's in New Zealand.
This tree, sand and sea are in Cuba, just outside my favorite Cuban city -- Trinidad.
My all-time favorite American is Sacajawea.
My all-time favorite Cuban is Celia Sanchez.
I wrote a Sacajawea biography. 
And I wrote a Celia Sanchez biography.
I think U. S. Congresswoman Kathy Castor should be the next President of the United States.
And I think National Assemblywoman Liaena Hernandez should be the next President of Cuba.
Each day on 4-wheeler rides in Virginia I see Goldfinches, America's prettiest birds. 
Which reminds me of the prettiest bird I saw in Cuba, the very tiny Cuban Tody!
*******************


No comments:

cubaninsider: "The Country That Raped Me" (A True Story)

cubaninsider: "The Country That Raped Me" (A True Story) : Note : This particular essay on  Ana Margarita Martinez  was first ...